Casting from your Chromebook to your Desktop Computer
Install Google Cast extension if is not already installed
Click on Google Cast for Education icon
- Enter a name for the receiver (this is the name you will select on your chromebook for casting)
Add other user names to cast to your computer and click ADD
Click CLOSE if just for casting from your account (other users can be added later, if needed).
- Log into Chrome with your school Google account on your desktop computer.
You should see the Google Cast for Education icon
(top right of Chrome browser)
- On your Chromebook click the Settings button at the top right of the new window.
- Click Cast… in the drop-down menu.
- Select the Receiver name & source
Source options include tab, desktop or file
- Indicates cast is in progress
- On the desktop computer, if you are casting to your own receiver, the screen should begin mirroring.
Moving your cursor to the top center of the mirrored window should reveal these two icons:
- Click the X to stop the cast
- The gear icon is the Settings menu
- F11 to exit full screen
Halting a cast
Halting a cast from the receiving system: (Desktop computer)
Move the cursor to the top center of the mirrored window should reveal these two icons:
Click the X to stop the mirroring.
Halting a cast from the sending system: (Chromebook)
In the Chrome browser on the sending system, a blue Cast icon should appear at upper right: .
Click icon and then click STOP on the pop-up dialog box.
Keyboard shortcuts while casting
- F11 toggles full screen and windowed mode
- Ctrl+N OR Ctrl+Shift+N (Mac: Command-N OR Command-Option-B): Open new tab OR open new tab in incognito mode
- Ctrl+O (the letter O, not zero) (Mac: Command-O): Opens a file from your computer or cloud in Google Chrome
- Alt+Tab (Mac: Command-TAB): Switch to other tabs and/or applications while casting; you can even do this in full-screen mode
- Ctrl+Shift+O: Open Bookmark Manager
Useful YouTube shortcuts while casting:
- Space Bar: Toggle play/pause the video
- Up/Down Arrow: Increase/Decrease Volume
- Left/Right Arrow: Go Back/Forward
- 0 (zero) (not the keypad number): Restart Video
- Press any number between 1 to 9 to skip parts of a video in 10 percent increments. 9 equals 90%.
- If you want to navigate YouTube without a mouse, press the Tab key and press Enter key to execute selection.
Need more help?
CLICK HERE for Google’s online help with this tool.